Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lost and found

Plans are in place for me to visit my old high school, though which doors I have not passed in 10 years. The teachers there will most likely not remember me, just another face in 500 in my class. I hope at least one of them does.

I look back on the last ten years and see some strange things: four year full scholarship to OSU which I gave up after 3 years to join the US Navy, 2 years in the active duty service where I learned to work on aircraft electrical systems, 3 years back at OSU for a degree in Chinese, a three week tour of Chinese factory towns, a year as a manager at Target, then 1 year in China teaching English... Now I'm back at school for another stab at higher education.

What a wild ten years it's been. Add to that countless heartbreaks, tattoo work, massive body modifications, an engagement, a break in that engagement, and all the normal college life experiences. Still, I can't help but feel like my life hasn't really amounted to much. I don't really feel like I have done anything that is really worth being proud of.

What have I done for ten years? WHAT? How bizarre.

I have a friend in one of my classes who thinks I'm the coolest guy in the world, that I've done so many amazing things, but from my standpoint I've done almost nothing. I just tell her that she's young and all those cool things and more will happen for her, too... but will they? Has my life been cool? I feel like it's been mostly hell.

No comments: